I’m ready to share a big secret! This is how you get the most out of your stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake! Nope, I was not paid to write this. I just really love this fun date adventure and wanted to share!
If you are a wine lover, want to be active and need a get-a-way you’ll want to read this.
My fiance and I do this trip every year! We actually got engaged on this trip in 2018.
We love NOTL for its charming setting, local wineries, fantastic brews and amazing food.
Recently we discovered that our favourite way to stay in this touristy area is also the most budget friendly!
Go to the pub!
We’ve done the luxurious hotels, which are incredible ( Harbour House, 124 on Queen, Shaw Club) but year after year we still agree that the rooms above the pub at The Olde Angel Inn are the most fun!
We love staying overnight so we can tour the wineries, sample wine and not worry about getting back to the GTA.
If you want to replicate our favourite adventure date here are the 10 steps:
- Book a room above The Olde Angel Inn
- Arrive early and ask for some wine tasting passes and a winery map ( they always have them on hand at the front desk)
- Go for breakfast at Stagecoach or Sunset Grill and plot your route
- Look up all the tasting passes you have and create a path to reach them all or most of them – how will you get there? Keep reading!
- Rent bikes! We use Zoom bike rentals they are super comfy and reasonably priced
- Pack a bottle of water and get biking! Stop at each winery take in the views, enjoy the samples and get ready to pedal to the next
- Once you are done your amazing biking adventure check into the Angel Inn and enjoy they pub
- Need some dessert? Go to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory ( we can never resist)
- Walk along the waterfront as the sun sets or enjoy one of the many patios
- Crash at The Angel Inn! And return bikes the next morning
This year we hit up some amazing places over 30 km, that was our longest ride!
Each time we discover new wineries, stop in at Oast for a beer and comment that it’s the best date idea we’ve ever had!
Some of our favourite wineries are:
- Jackson Triggs
Silversmith and Oast are also amazing breweries!
We’ve tested the plan time and time again! Never fails. If you have been wanting to get to Niagara-on-the-Lake this is the way to do it!